Although I came to sweet potatoes late in my life, I’ve been bringing them to my table more often these days. I do enjoy roasted potato medallions, sweet or white, but they usually require some fat to roast well and develop nice caramelization and flavor. So, I gave myself a challenge to develop a method that will produce perfect fat-free roasted potato medallions.
I recently read about par boiling potatoes before roasting them, and was keen to test the method out. It worked! And another thing that helped is using my mandoline slicer to make very uniform potato slices. I used flat cut edge at 1/4 inch (5 mm) setting, and I was happy with the ratio of crunch and soft that I like to see in a great potato medallion.
Russett and sweet potatoes worked well together and roasted at about the same rate, which was great to see. Taste wise, they also got along and worked exceptionally well with some Vegan Herb Mayo on the side.
Finally, I did take an exception to my “no added salt rule”, and used a spice mix that included some sea salt. It is the newly available Everything but a Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend that Trader Joe’s crew concocted. I loved what this seasoning mix added to these potato medallions, with hints of garlic, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and onions. But, quite honestly I did find salt to be overpowering and next time I plan to put together my own seasoning mix and see how it goes.
Fat Free Roasted Potato Medallions
What you’ll need:
2 large Russet potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon Everything but a Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend
What you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Peel and slice potatoes to 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick slices.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and par boil potatoes for 5-6 minutes.
- Drain and dry the potatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper and arrange the potato slices with a good amount of space between them. You will have enough potatoes for two baking sheets so depending on how large your oven is you may want to work with half the amount of potatoes at the time. If you have an oven with two levels do remember to rotate your baking sheets half way through.
- Roast the potatoes for 15-18 minutes, then flip the slices over and roast for another 15 minutes. Enjoy these potato medallions as an easy snack or a tasty side dish!
Copyright © Eat the Vegan Rainbow, 2017